Tuesday, April 14, 2009

OM NOM Parker House Rolls

I am in love with Parker.....



.... House rolls! :D


I got this recipe from the Food Network years ago, who got it directly from the Omni Parker House Hotel, in Boston.

You need:
  • 6 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4.5 tsp yeast
  • 1 c butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
1. In a large bowl, combine 2 1/4 c flour, the sugar, salt, yeast, and half the butter. Mix while pouring in 2 cups of hot tap water.

2. Add the egg and beat. Mix in 3/4 more flour and continue beating. I'm using my KitchenAid for this. Stir in about 2 1/2 c more flour, or enough to make a soft dough.

3. Knead until smooth and elastic, working in more flour if you need it.

4. Put the dough into a greased bowl and cover. Let it rise for about 2 hours if your house is cold.

5. Punch down the dough and knead it into a smooth ball. Let it rest, covered, for 15 minutes.

6. Preheat your oven to 400ºF. Meanwhile, in each of two 9X13 roasting pans melt 1/4c of butter (so all the rest of the butter). This will grease the bottom of the pans.

7. Weigh your dough and divide that number by 40 because you are making 40 buns. Pluck off and weigh portions of the dough to make 40 even portions. Shape these into balls by folding them in on themselves and gently rolling to seal.

8. Put 20 rolls per pan, seam side down. Let the dough rise again, covered, for about an hour if your house is cold.

9. Bake rolls for about 15-20 minutes, until they're golden brown and smell heavenly. DEVOUR.


Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

4 comments:

  1. OMG I have been looking for a decent dinner roll recipe for ages now! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love working with yeast breads that don't take a lot of time. These look absolutely wonderful. Great foodography, too! I can see myself making these very soon...though they do make a lot for 3 people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no. I had just decided to really, really diet...then I stumbled on your blog. Your food speaks to me. :-) Already I'm going to have the poached eggs on asparagus tomorrow (I have some asparagus growing in my back yard right now)...but those rolls! OMG. A friend of my mother's used to make these professionally, dozens and dozens at a time, on her big kitchen table (she was a Southern caterer). She'd always send home a big bag, fresh from the oven, when my mother stopped by for a chat. We just DOVE into that bag when she got home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these today for Thanksgiving. I brushed them twice with melted butter when they came out of the oven. They turned out to be absolutely INCREDIBLE! They are the BEST rolls I have ever made. Thanks for this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete