Monday, April 6, 2009

"Bistro Chicken"

If you love crispy, juicy, herbed chicken with the skin on, you need to try this. It's delicious in the oven, but even better in the summer on the barbecue.


You need:

8-10 skin-on chicken drumsticks and/or thighs
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1 tbs dried or 2 tbs fresh rosemary, crushed
2 tsps dried thyme
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tbs olive oil
zest of one lemon (optional)

Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with foil, if you're doing this in the oven. Otherwise, heat up your grill.

Mix all the non-chicken ingredients in a small bowl.

With your fingers, carefully separate the skin from the meat on a piece of the chicken. Stuff the space under the skin with a small amount of the herb paste. Repeat with the other chicken pieces. You may need more paste than I gave amounts for - I really just eyeball it and make more if I need it. The olive oil makes the meat super juicy and the herbs permeate throughout.

Arrange the chicken on the barbecue or on your baking sheet and bake/grill until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is crispy and golden.

This goes well with mashed potatoes and veg in the winter, and with grilled corn on the cob and potato salad in the summer. So easy and versatile, and your dinner guests will think you are made of magic.

Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

3 comments:

  1. This. Is. So. Good.

    I made it with an arugula salad and garlic mashed potatoes (It's pretty much summer, but mashed potatoes are a 24/7/365 food for me). Now I think I'm made of magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! that sounds like a perfect combination!! I'm so excited that you're trying these out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It occurred to me while I was making the chicken that it probably looks like I'm food-blog stalking you! But I was reassured by the vegetarian, seafood, and crock pot recipes that I haven't made :D

    ReplyDelete